Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Powerful Love Letter

So. This post is one I've been waiting to write for about a month. A month? Yes. Life keeps happening. What are you gonna do? Moving on... 
I've recently realized how important it is to memorize scripture. I knew it was on the "Good Things Christians Do" Checklist, but I never really got why. Here's a clue from the Bible itself: 
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." ~ Psalms 119:11 
Listen. King David. Everyone knows you memorize scripture to get Awana bucks. Or a piece of candy in Sunday school. Right? WRONG! The whole purpose of memorizing Scripture is to combat the little lies and temptations that Satan throws at us day after ever-loving day. How can you recognize a lie from Satan if you don't first know the Truth? Mmm. Ya can't! You have to know what God says about you first before you can push away the things this world tries to convince you that you are. 
What if someone wrote you a big long love letter? One filled with only truth; No embellishments or exaggerations. Word for word how that person felt for you. And what their heart desired for you. You would totally want to rip that sucker open and read it right? YES! Well we've all got one. Waiting for us.  It's the Word of God. And it could change the world. If we would only read it, memorize it, and apply it to our lives. 
So I've started memorizing verses that speak to me personally. I write them on my mirror in dry-erase markers. And after two days of reading the verse every time I pass by it, I know it by heart. It's awesome! And so easy, it's insane. So I challenge you to do the same. Rip open that love letter and dive in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment